Prosecutor has some more explaining to do
Woody Allen Sex Abuse Accusations ‘Expired’
An former prosecutor says the statute of limitations on assault claims by Allen’s adopted daughter ran out at least 15 years ago.
A man who investigated child sex abuse claims against Woody Allen more than 20 years ago says time has run out for him to be prosecuted.
Former Litchfield County state attorney Frank Maco said the statute of limitations on accusations by Allen’s adopted daughter Dylan Farrow ran out at least 15 years ago.
The now retired prosecutor said he did not have enough evidence to prosecute Allen back in 1993.
It came after Dylan Farrow, in an open letter published in The New York Times on Saturday, claimed Allen sexually assaulted her when she was seven after he and actress Mia Farrow adopted her.
The message to columnist Nicholas Kristof detailed the alleged 1992 incident.
She said she was motivated to speak out because of Hollywood’s continued embrace of Allen, who has always maintained his innocence.
Australian actress Cate Blanchett arrives for the opening ceremony and screening of Robin Hood at the 63rd Cannes Film Festival
Cate Blanchett was mentioned in the open letter
She wrote: “That he got away with what he did to me haunted me as I grew up. I was stricken with guilt that I had allowed him to be near other little girls.”
In the letter, Farrow said Allen led her to a “dim, closet-like attic” at their Connecticut home before sexually assaulting her.
She added: “For as long as I could remember, my father had been doing things to me that I didn’t like.
“These things happened so often, so routinely, so skillfully hidden from a mother that would have protected me had she known, that I thought it was normal.”
She also mentioned Hollywood actors who have starred in Allen’s films.
“What if it had been your child, Cate Blanchett? Louis CK? Alec Baldwin?” she said in the letter.
“What if it had been you, Emma Stone? Or you, Scarlett Johansson? You knew me when I was a little girl, Diane Keaton. Have you forgotten me?”
In response to the letter, Blue Jasmine star Blanchett reportedly said: “It’s obviously been a long and painful situation for the family and I hope they find some resolution and peace.”
Ronan Farrow and Mia Farrow
Mia Farrow and her son with Allen, Ronan Farrow
Allen was investigated on child molestation claims over the alleged 1992 incident, but prosecutors chose not to charge him.
The New York Times said Allen declined to comment.
The 1992 allegation came shortly after Allen became involved with Mia Farrow’s adopted daughter, Soon-Yi Previn.
Allen was not the adoptive father of Previn, who was 19 at the time.
The pair married in 1997 and have two adopted daughters.
The letter comes not long after Allen was given a lifetime achievement award at the Golden Globes.
Mia Farrow and her son with Allen, Ronan Farrow, both took to Twitter to criticise Allen getting the honour in January.
When the director’s tribute began to start, the actress, who had been tweeting throughout the show, stopped and said on the microblogging site: “Time to grab some ice cream & switch over to #GIRLS.”
Ronan was more explicit, saying on Twitter: “Missed the Woody Allen tribute – did they put the part where a woman publicly confirmed he molested her at age 7 before or after Annie Hall?”
:: Watch Sky News live on television, on Sky channel 501, Virgin Media channel 602, Freeview channel 82 and Freesat channel 202.